Sunday, March 16, 2014

Three Me Things

Our offense couldn't do shit against David Price today. Keep in mind we had David Ross batting second though.

It had been a while since I'd watched the NCAA tourney selection show knowing Nebraska had any chance at all. And they made it. An 11 seed! We play Baylor, and if we beat them, we might play in-state non-rival Creighton. (Kim called it the Creighton-Barrel combo.) And if we somehow actually win those two games, which would be the first two we've ever won in this tournament, we'll probably face the #2 seed Wisconsin. But they're the team we recently beat, leading to the court-storming. All I'm saying is, if we can make it there, we know we're playing a beatable team.

Of course, we were printing up Sweet Sixteen shirts back in '94, only to lose in the first round to the goddamn Penn Quakers! So for now I guess I'm just happy to be there.

In Teams I Care About By Default news, my own city's Providence Friars, like the Huskers, are going to San Antonio as an 11 seed. Last year at this time, if you had told either my school or my city's namesake school would....you know the rest. Let alone both...you know the rest.

More old New Year's cartoons for ya... this one is from the Times Daily, from 1930. I cut out the sides because there was a bunch of junk text around the edges, and I left in the bottom text because of the awesome typo, but my god look at this infant!

I guess what I'm wondering is, did people think these pictures were scary at the time? Or were they so used to these giant and/or flying babies, often pictured with unkempt old men, that they just thought, "Yeah, that's what comes into my head when I think 'New Year's,' what?"?

Comments:
You can imagine how ecstatic I am about my Shockers & yes, that's a creepy baby with the world on a string.
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States