Thursday, December 30, 2010

Retro Gallery: Nebraska Vs. N. Texas St., 9/4/1993

The offseason is a great time for Retro-Galz. And with Nebraska playing in its bowl game tonight, I thought I'd show you some pics from my first Nebraska home game, from shortly after I arrived at college in 1993. I specify "home game" because I'd seen the Huskers live once before, at the 1988 Kickoff Classic at the Meadowlands. [And also at the Orange Bowl in 1992, which happened to correspond with a vacation we took to Miami/Key West. My mom pointed out this omission. Terrible job by me.]
The crowd gathers early at Broyhill Fountain by the student union.

Cornhuskers take the field against essentially a high school team--your North Texas State Eagles.

I always laugh at these [color]-outs schools have today. Nebraska's been a Sea of Red (without having to be told what to wear ahead of time) every game since, like, always. (Okay, on this hot day there actually were a lot of white T-shirts, but you know what I'm talkin' about, rubberneck.) And don't get me started on the "wildcat" offense! Is it too late for one of these NFL teams to sign Tommie Frazier?!

The Blackshirts try to preserve a 76-14 lead.


Down at the field after the game.


Aaron Davis signing autographs.


Final score. We would go on to win every game that season, until the bowl game, when Florida State cheated. But the next year....

First championship since '71! We would add two more to that banner in the next three years, but none since. Below is the national championship celebration at Memorial Stadium in January 1995.



Bonus pic! What I looked like in 1993:
That's a "Therapy?" shirt. And I still have that Nebraska Lottery sign. Unless you're the Nebraska state police, in which case I never had it and don't know what you're talking about.

Comments:
Also, Nebraska did do a "red-out" this year, but it was referring to having Husker fans worldwide wear red on a certain day, not just at the stadium. So....
 
Great pics, Jere. I sent the post to one of the loyal followers of my blog, who is a Red Sox fan from Omaha. Sure he'll get a kick out of them.

Twilight Zone marathon begins at 8 AM tomorrow. But I'm sure I didn't have to tell you that, right?

Happy New Year to you and yours.
 
Quinn, thanks, Happy New Year to you too.

It's funny, years ago, I'd think, "I'm not doing anything on New Year's Eve, guess I'll just watch Twilight Zone." But now, on a year when we have New Year's plans, we say, "But we'll miss the Twilight Zone Marathon!!!" So we've found a way to work it into our schedule. And if there are some classics we miss, we can pop in the DVDs.... :)
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States