Wednesday, December 11, 2013

14th Minute Update

What a day in the world of my creation, the 60 Year-Old Girl meme. I see they've collected a whole bunch of them over at Buzzfeed, closing with my original about the hot flashes and the E-Z Bake Oven. Who would have thought that when I sat there cropping the photo and titling the meme, it would be something that the whole e-world would be talking and laughing about so quickly.

It does stink that everyone tells the story this way: "Guy posts picture, Internet does shit to it." They omit the key middle step: "Jere Smith sees pic, crops it, titles it, and turns it into an image macro which catches on and becomes a meme." And the original post I did is a record of that vital step, as it has the husband of "60" commenting, along with me, and scores of others talking about how fast it was moving and how psyched they were to be witnessing the birth of a meme.

I earlier mentioned how I hope Know Your Meme gets the story right. They haven't mentioned 60 yet, but they show their top searches, and it's right up there. The world wants to know where she came from. And here I sit during the all-important "first 48 hours" hoping I can set the record straight. So, here's the timeline:

Monday, December 9th, 2013, approx. 9 p.m.: reddit user "beerdrummer" posts pic of his wife as a kid, and it goes to #1 on all of reddit.

Monday, December 9th, 2013, 11:42 p.m.: reddit user LetsGetRamblin (aka me, Jere Smith, writer of the blog A Red Sox Fan From Pinstripe Territory since 2004) captures pic from other post, crops it, titles it "60 Year-Old Girl," and gives it the caption "My E-Z Bake Oven is giving me hot flashes," and posts it to r/funny on reddit.

Tuesday, December 10th, 2013, 1:30 a.m.: LetsGetRamblin's post reaches reddit's front page. Another user has already stolen LetsGetRamblin's original version of the meme and posted it on r/AdviceAnimals, but LetsGetRamblin's post rightfully turns out to gain a much wider audience.

Tuesday, December 10th, 2013, 1:37 a.m.: LetsGetRamblin's post reaches #1 on all of reddit.

Tuesday, December 10th, 2013, 2:45 a.m.: LetsGetRamblin's post reaches 10,000 upvotes. Others are starting to make their own captions for the meme.

As this point I go to bed and wake up to see the meme has exploded, and throughout the next day, a number of 60 Year-Old Girls have made the front page, all capitalizing on the fact that viewers knew the picture from the previous night's original post by beerdrummer. By the end of Wednesday the meme has thousands of versions, thousands of mentions on Twitter, and has been mentioned by various web sites.

So I'm only a little pissed about not being mentioned as the man who turned water into wine, but like a lot things, it took someone else doing something in order for me to have an opportunity to do something else. I've said since the beginning that the husband (and the unsuspecting wife) get the credit. But I should get second-tier credit. I mean, the Internet didn't just start doing this. Somebody had to name the thing and get it started. And don't think I'm about to break into Diane Wiest's line from The Bird Cage where she cries, "somebody has to like me best!" It's just a meme after all. But it's a good one, and its true history must be known!

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States