Sunday, May 19, 2013

No Doubleheader, No Double-Checking

Last year I had my suspicions that Futures at Fenway would go from a doubleheader to a single game. This year, that happened. The game will be Saturday, July 27th (while the Red Sox are in Baltimore, meaning they lose a chunk of the potential audience). The teams are Portland and Harrisburg (AA affiliate of the Washington Nationals).

It's funny, on that survey I filled out (which I'll have to do a post about because it was weird, wild stuff), they asked if post-game concerts would light a fire under my ass when thinking about purchasing Red Sox tickets. And now for the Futures game, they've replaced the second game with a post-game concert. It's something called Kidz Bop Kids.

And now, predictably, here's my "mistake report" on the Futures page:

Okay, you've got about 10 lines of text here. Gotta score a 100% on this, people. But no. We've got the line "there will be post-game autograph session with Sea Dogs players." There will be session! Ha. And then when they mention Kidz Bop Kids, they spell the second "Kids" with a Z instead of an S. How in the world would I know this is wrong? Because the e-mail I got with the link in it spelled it differently. So I did some research (on a really nice day, mind you) and found it's supposed to be Kidz Bop Kids. ("Kidz Bop" is the "thing" and the Kidz Bop "kids" are the ones performing. It took me a while to figure that out. Anyway, even if you have kids, I recommend not subjecting them to this concert as it sounds horrible.)

I'll give 'em a break* on capitalizing "affiliate" in one spot but not in another. Same with saying "First pitch" but "Gates Open." And choosing to hyphenate only between "one" and "day" in the "one-day only" phrase instead of going with "one-day-only" which would make more sense as the whole phrase is describing "presale." And putting the home team on the top/left.

*But not enough of a break to actually keep it to myself. Maybe I should just get used to this new world. But still, I know these giant companies spend countless hours on this stuff, figuring out what they want to do based on focus groups and all this crap. So it makes it even more mind-boggling to ever see a mistake. They get to that final step, they've gone over every detail, they type up the final copy, everyone agrees on it...and then they just let it go live to millions of people without double-checking it? And then either nobody notices the entire time it's up on the web, or for some reason the thing can't be changed when someone does notice? Why do they go so hard all the way and then boot it on the final, most crucial step?

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States