Friday, September 02, 2011

Google News Archive Search Dead

So much of what I do online involves searching through old newspapers. Google's archive is still there, but it's only by individual paper now. And there's no more effective search function. Before, I could put a few words in, specify a date range, and it would bring up all the matches from all the archived newspapers. Now all I can do is pick an individual newspaper, specify a date, hope that date's paper is archived, then go through page by page looking for the relevant article. So I could still find what I'm looking for, but it would be a minor miracle and would take an hour instead of a minute.

I looked online for news about the death of the Google News Archive and see that Google did announce in May that it would be going away. So I guess they haven't been adding anything to it since then, and now...it's not even letting you search it in any kind of productive way.

This is so crappy. But maybe I'm just missing something. Maybe there is still a way to do it like I had been. If you know, please help me out here. Thanks.

[3:29 p.m.: I see the "archive" search link is up there currently so that's good--I'm on Firefox now, was on Safari before. Who knows what the hell is going on. I'm worried it could be gone for good, though, any day now.]

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States