Wednesday, April 21, 2010

MC's For Mostly Clean

Kim's a big Celts fan, so when playoff tickets went on sale, I took a shot at the only affordable seats, the $12 ones. Somehow, I got in and got some, randomly choosing game 2 over game 1. That game was tonight. So the Red Sox tickets I had for tonight went to a co-worker.

As we sat in the top row of the upper deck, I was watching not only the Celtics on the floor, but also the Red Sox on a TV I could see in one of the luxury boxes, hundreds of feet away. Without sound or the ability to see the graphics, it was tough, but I was getting the idea. Close-up shots of Wake, then Tito in the dugout, then Wake, then Tito. It just seemed tense. Finally at halftime, I called my mom, and she told me it was 6-2 Texas. Then I could see a play involving the left field line, and two white-shirted players scoring. So I guessed it was 6-4. Later, I saw a home run. I couldn't tell who hit it. A righty. But who? The Garden big screen then showed the highlight. So we saw that the blow tied the game at 6 in the 8th, but we still couldn't tell who hit it, other than maybe Manny Delcarmen trying something new. I had heard Reddick was being called up today, but I didn't know about any other "new" guys.

So then I watched Papelbon--I had to assume it was still tied, top 9. At that point, Kim gave the go ahead for us to leave, as the Celts were up 30 with three minutes left. We had passed bars on the way in, so I knew exactly where we had to go.

We got the windows of a bar with Youk leading off the ninth. We planted ourselves there. As the crowd leaving the Celts game got thicker, the crowd at that bar window built up around us. Soon there were two on, two out, and we could see that "home run guy" was on deck. It would pretty much have to be a walk to give him a shot at a game-winning hit. Just before he came up, we got through to my mom who told us it was....Darnell McDonald! Okay.... anyway, here he was again, and there went a fly ball to deep left...

And while I wanted to start jumping up and down immediately, I knew there was a chance it was "take your infant to work day" at NESN. Again. Meaning the cameraperson's infant could be at the controls, thinking any fly ball is a home run, and pointing the camera at the sky instead of the fielder as he camps under the fly ball. Sure enough, I was correct in my assumption, as they jolt the camera down at the last second, after having fooled everyone, and we see what looked like the left fielder jumping for this ball that two seconds earlier was bouncing off the top of the Citgo sign and over the Charles. Fortunately, we saw the ball bouncing away, and that was the game. DMC ties it and wins it in his first game as a Socker.

I've watched the replay a few times online, and that ball looked catchable. It definitely clanged off the scoreboard. [edit: I guess that was the sound of the GUY hitting the board, but the ball couldn't have been that high if he jumped for it] Too bad we couldn't really see what happened. I didn't see a different angle, don't know if they have one. Maybe the Texas channel knew to follow the fielder instead of the ball.

In the car, we heard some of the calls. Castig actually said, while DMC was batting that first time, "he could become a household name here in a hurry." How right he was.

When I get to work tomorrow, my co-worker better not tell me she left Fenway early!

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States