Saturday, May 16, 2009

Charm City Suicides: Heroin Sucks


This weekend's video treat is a song by Charm City Suicides called "Heroin Sucks." This was shot by me around 2003 in Bethel, CT, at my friend Tom's house. Terribly, I missed the beginning of the song, and then right before the end, my tape ran out. But you'll get the idea.

I don't know how we got hooked up with this Baltimore band (though I'm sure Brian could tell me), but I'll never forget seeing them for the first time at Newtown Teen Center. The singer suddenly became this possessed beast, yelling at...something...like he was a commander in the middle of a fierce battle. Then his band launched into their assault, and soon the guy was flipping around like a fish out of water on the pool table, which wasn't even that close to the stage area. Before anybody knew what hit them, the dude ran out the back door, signifying the end of the experience. People talk about times when bands leave them stunned, jaw on floor. This was that time for me.

The "beast," Mike Apichella, turned out to be one of the friendliest, most genuine people I met in my time playing in bands (which I hope isn't over!). I saw CCS a few more times, including their last show, which I have some nice photos of. And Mike helped out our band, The Pac-Men, when our tour went through Baltimore. In an incredible coincidence, before going to sleep at his parents' house that night, I noticed my childhood stuffed animal and best friend, Munk-a-dunk. Only it wasn't my Munk-a-dunk, it was the same stuffed monkey--his parents must've grabbed the same model mine did back in the 70s.

Mike has been doing his "new" "band," Human Host, for over six years now. Here's an interview I just found about that.

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States