Monday, April 13, 2009

RIP Harry Kalas

Announcer Harry Kalas died today.

I've been meaning to do a post about the horrible current announcing landscape for a while now--in it, I was going to mention that Harry was one of the few good guys. Every Phillies fan knows his voice from baseball, but the rest of us know him from his narration work with the great NFL Films. Nobody could have replaced "the voice of god," John Facenda, but Kalas did as good a job as anyone could have. He was also the voice of one of my favorite weekly moments as a kid--during the two-minute warning of NFL games, they'd play a short clip of a game with a great ending. "Alcoa presents...Fantastic Finishes." I don't know why I loved it so much--it could have been the White Shoes Johnson play every time and I still would have watched. Maybe Harry had something to do with it...

Comments:
Those Alcoa Fantastic Finishes were great.
Harry will be missed...
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States