Monday, January 28, 2008

Watch Out, Don Aase!

Sox get Aardsma. If he appears in an official game for us, he'll be number one on our all-time list. You know what I'm talking about.

To get him, we traded two minor leaguers, including Willy Mota. I'm convinced this man doesn't exist. Every time a team throws cash into a deal, but doesn't want to admit it, they just agree with the other team to have the official press release include "Willy Mota." Or Guillermo or Willie, depending on the day.

Another thing I never mentioned here was that a few weeks ago Glenn Geffner got a job with the Marlins, so his time as Castiglione's booth-partner is done. Of course, he didn't even do all the games last year, only the ones Dave O'Brien couldn't get to. Glenn definitely wasn't well-received by fans, but much of that had to do with the fact that he was a new voice to many people. After hearing the same duo for fourteen years, it's gonna be a shock to have one voice suddenly be different. I remember when Joe was the rookie, back in '83. I was only seven years old, but I'd already started listening to games (we only got a few games on TV if we were lucky--and only if my dad could successfully point the roof antenna the right way), and could hear the difference between the booming veteran Ken Coleman and the new guy. And when Coleman left, there was the shock of Bob Starr's voice--but Castig was still considered a second banana back then, so Starr became the number one man. After a short stay, Starr was out--and died shortly thereafter-- and Trupiano was in, but this time Joe C. took top-billing. But they ended up being a long-running team.

Wow, where was I going with that? Oh right, Geffner. Yeah, I still say he sounded like the voice of the New York Knights in The Natural. He never meant any harm, he just rubbed people the wrong way with his style and voice, I guess. I admit, he sometimes didn't seem excited enough for a long fly ball. It was like, "Okay, this is a fly out--what??--a home run? Why didn't let us know??" But is that any worse than Trup', saying "SWING and a drive, [whoops] it'll be caught."? And you can't really change your voice unless you want to sound like an imitation of someone else. Dave O'Brien has that classic announcer voice, but Geffner just doesn't. Just remember, though, neither did Castiglione, and some say he still doesn't, it's just that we're so used to him by now. I hope Geffner can one day be the Castiglione of the Marlins. Until then, I finally get to use my Natural joke, and I know at least, like, three of you get this: "Goodbye, Mr. Balding!" I wish you well.

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States