Friday, January 04, 2008

The Lenghts I'll Go For A Comparison

Memphis Grizzlies coach Marc Iavaroni:

Fictional boxer Don Flamenco:

We watched a little of the Celts tonight (28 and 3, holy Chans!), and I couldn't help but notice the Grizzlies coach was a dead ringer for Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! fighter Don Flamenco. I figured this would've been noticed by someone, but no one on the internet seems to have made the connection.

Even if you don't think they look alike, you gotta give me credit for this:

I was specifically looking for a pic of Flamenco without his hairpiece. I seemed to remember that you could actually knock it off during the fight. I did an image search for Don, and all his pics showed him with hair. In fact, I couldn't even find any mention of the fact that he can lose his rug. What was I to do? Settle for a touped Donny? No way. I went to Every Video Game dot com and played the game, beating Glass Joe, Von Kaiser, and Piston Honda just to get to Flamenco. At that point I had to beat him up enough so that he'd lose his piece, but not enough to knock him out and win the fight. After round one, he still had the rug. But after two, they showed the close-up, and there he was, his scalp in all its glory--and I got my screenshot.

With the regular NES, this all would've been easy, but trying to play a game I hadn't played in years using a computer keyboard instead of the old familiar controller was rough. Still, I didn't lose once before getting to Don. It's like riding a bike, I guess. Remember the year that game came out? What a time we all had trying to get all the way to Tyson. It seemed at the time like figuring out how to get by the second Bald Bull was the most challenging (and important) thing in the world. How times have....stayed pretty much the same.

[coach photo by Joe Murphy]

Comments:
Flamenco, with his wild looping punches that were his weaknesses. I knocked the s**t out of that guy many times and never once did he lose a hairpiece. And like you, I know that I could take the NES out of the cabinet, hook it up, and wham! It would be like riding a bike...you don't forget. But there is one thing about that "before its time" Nintendo game...I made it to Tyson, but I never was able to beat him. Who knows, Jere, a helpful hint or three and I'd take out the console for the first time in 3 years!! Have fun this weekend, and tonight, it's Celt/Pistons. Hi to the cats.
 
The key to knocking off the hairpiece is beating him up for two rounds, but not letting the fight end. You don't actually see it fly off, but when you get to the mid-round break, he'll be there, piece-less.

About Tyson. He's just like any other fighter. He can be beat. It just takes a lot of patience. As I recall, you just stand there and wait him out. Eventually he'll just explode with an uppercut, and I can't remember what his "tell" is, but I think it's just a very subtle movement, like with Mr. Sandman. And once you get to the point where you can dodge his big punch, you jab him in the ribs, and I think then you get one free face shot, but then he covers up. So it takes a while to get his power down. Haven't done this in a long time, so this may be a little off. Just don't get hit at all by him, or the whole thing's over.
 
I think he winks at you, 15-years-ago Me.
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States