Sunday, October 21, 2007

This Is The Meal. So Stock Up, Buddy Boy.

I'm writing "JD Drew hit a key grand slam and Eric Gagne finished the game with a 1-2-3 ninth," but I can't believe it.

Sunday night, I'll be at Fenway Park. While Bob Ryan (I originally said Gordon Edes by mistake--I totally meant Ryan, and I apologize to Edes) was writing about how it was okay to have lost to the Indians because they're a formidable foe whose fans we should have sympathy for, I was busy calling the ticket office to get a face value seat for game seven.

Game Seven!

Again, Fox ignores the Indians' past miseries and 59-year drought, refusing to tell us that ghosts and goblins are clearly seeping in to their souls. What are they thinking??

Instead, Buck and McCarver are too busy panicking on behalf of the Red Sox, talking about how Schilling may have to come out, despite having a three-run lead at the time, and having not even really gotten into too much trouble. Shortly after that, the three-run lead became a nine-run lead. I knew I was going to be able to use my game seven ticket, and all the poor, dead Cleveland players of the past who hung curses on their former team cried because Fox inexplicably refused to acknowledge their deeds.

On towels: I was honestly more offended by the unoriginality of it than I was about the concept itself.

Schilling said "schit" at his press conference tonight. Beckett retains a slim fuck-to-shit lead.

You know what's extra awesome about having two good showings against Carmona (who I have a lot of respect for)? Not only the fact that he beat the Yanks in the previous round, but that he was the guy who pitched through the bug swarm, while the Yankees acted like they were being attacked by flying pit bulls with bees in their mouths.

As you know, I like being able to rub stuff in to Yankee fans, such as the thing I described above: "we beat the guy that beat you." That kind of thing. But don't think that means I need that to feel good about the Red Sox. You know why? Because we could win the next 50 World Series in a row, and Yankee fans would find something to brag about, even if it's something that exists entirely in their minds. And it's weird, because, as I wrote shortly after the 2004 World Series, the "B" on my hat was like Kryptonite to them. But it's almost like over that next year, they thought, "hey, why should we be sad when we can just pretend we've won, no matter what the truth is? Remember how we used to make fun of Red Sox fans? Let's just keep doing it, even when there's nothing there to make fun of. We're just arrogant enough to pull it off!"

So, knowing that, I could care less whether our victories are "justified" or "meet their standards," because nothing would ever be "good enough" for them. It would almost be more fun nowadays to win in the cheapest possible way--sneak into the playoffs while they storm through the regular season and then beat them on a bad call in our favor, or something like that. Then when they try to make fun of us, we, knowing that they would have no matter what the case had been, laugh in their faces: "Yup, you're right. YOU deserved it. But WE got it. Oh well."

But that won't come into play anyway, as we're a division champion going into game seven of the ALCS, while they're a wild card team sitting at home.

"Yeah, well you're the one still talking about the Yankees when you should be worrying about bla bla bla bla wah wah wah wah wahhhhhhh." No, Yankee fans are bragging to us when they have no right to, and I'm responding to it logically, and then moving on.

Great job by the pitching tonight. Great job by the hitting, too. Game seven, Sunday night. I am psyched! I will cheer the Sox on loudly from row 3 (!) of the bleachers--and take pics, of course. Let's proverbially do this!!!!!!!!!

Comments:
WOW! You'll be there...wear your luckiest shirt, for I feel that Daisuke will show us all what's in his heart...the downfalls and the elation to come. I just know it! Have fun, be safe, takes pics, and I'll end this the way I started it...WOW!!
 
What a wild fantastic ride this season has been! GO SOX!!

And I cannot *wait* to see your photos.
 
Those 2 "Heckle & Jekyll" Style Magpies, Buck & Mc Carver, have calling the Yankees on their minds & are frustrated beyond belief that they're NOT going to be able to do this, this year & NEXT Year:

The World does NOT revolve around Derek Jeter.
 
Hi Jere,

Ethan and I just got back from Florida last night, and I'm just now catching up on some blog-reading. We watched Thursday's game at the ESPN Club at Disney. It seemed like the Red Sox fans were in one room and the Indian fans in the other. It was always bad for us when the cheering was coming from the other room, luckily it wasn't that often!

Lots of Sox fans at our hotel. We did get one "Go Tribe!" said to us as we were walking through Epcot, though.

We saw most of last night's game on the plane, which was fun- I think that most of the plane was tuned in to the game (JetBlue), lots of Boston hats and cheering and clapping! It was great!

When I saw your comment about Casey Affleck, I couldn't help but smile and think about the "My boy's wicked smaahht" line.

Go Red Sox!!
 
I am so jealous. Now I'm really missing Boston. Have fun.

And come on 8th inning...
 
Have a great time, Jere. be sure to post lots of pictures when JP celebrates in his skivvies again...
 
Great to hear you will be there tonite, Jere. Have a blast. We went last night, we took our chance that last nite would be "clinch" night. JD's grand slam made it an incredible evening.

You lucky boy, you! Enjoy the moment, and make sure you are nice and LOUD! GO SOX!
 
I'm on my way out now. Thanks for all the comments. I've got my Rico Petrocelli pin in my pocket, where it's been for months, and the knowledge that Gedman himself thinks this team can win--they showed an interview with him last night on the local news.
 
Thanks for always keeping strong when I am weak...I can't believe you were there, and I can't wait to see the pics...Fuck in ' A...what a night...
 
Haha, no prob limo.

I'm back now. About to get all the pics loaded in. We'll see what I get up on the blog tonight.

What a night indeed.
 
Oh, and Hacker Boy, give us a sneak preview of the World Series Champs gear...
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States