Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Garfield

Henry Rollins: Hard-ass, musclebound singer/screamer, author, speaker, talk show host, who used to sing for a hardcore punk band 25 years ago when doing so was actually a dangerous occupation.

Air Supply: Wussiest band of the 20th century.

There's a new TV commercial that features an Air Supply song, which is voiced over by Henry Rollins. As American humans would say, that's just wrong.

I've come to terms with the fact that Hank is a mainstream personality now, and that if I'm hearing a male voice in a TV ad, it's most likely his. But there should come a point where he says, "I just can't do that."

If this doesn't show you how powerful the allure of money is, well, see the fact that baseball fans, who complain about ticket prices and not being able to get tickets, shill for internet ticket-scalping agencies (the very people who drive up the prices and steal all the tickets from the common folks) on their blogs.


Postscript or whatever: I have to admit--and I actually can't believe I'm about to admit this to the world--that I like some of those Air Supply songs. The difference is, I remember them from when I was four, and they remind me of being in the backseat, going to the store with my mom, with the AM radio going. In fact, I've totally been watching that infomercial for the soft rock CDs hosted by the two dudes from Air Supply. But Rollins was already touring with Black Flag when those Supply tunes came out. I sure hope you're giving that money to charity, Henry....

Comments:
I can't think of ANY Air Supply songs that are even remotely likeable.
 
Here's the one I like. And you have to imagine me doing the voice: "Close your eyes I want to ride the skies in my sweet dreams." There's something eerie about it. Or something.

Supply!
 
Barry Manilow reminds me of getting soft serve with my grandparents. I get your Air Supply thing.
 
... baseball fans, who complain about ticket prices and not being able to get tickets, shill for internet ticket-scalping agencies (the very people who drive up the prices and steal all the tickets from the common folks) on their blogs.

This does not get mentioned often enough. (I've been meaning to write about it.)
 
"Talk show host"? He crossed over a looooong time ago. Hell, when I was cranking Flag in the mid-80s, he was writing a column in Spin magazine.

P.S. If Gagne adopted "My War" as his entrance music, he would pitch so good, he'd make Pap look like Wasdin.

You're one of them!
 
"(I've been meaning to write about it.)"

We'll see who gets their post up about it first, then:) I've been writing mine in my head for like a year....
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States