Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Emotions Running With The Pitch

Witch City recently made the following brilliant comment here:

"The booing shows Damon that his decision to go to New York has cost him more than he initially thought. I'm sure, over time, the booing won't be quite as vicious and he'll become accustomed to it. I just don't understand why anyone would be surprised about his reception last night. I pretty much imagined it to play out exactly as it did. A lot of fans made a huge emotional and financial investment in that player. The boos translate to a whole lot of hurt and I think it's totally fine for Johnny to feel what the nation felt the day he signed with them. You can label me "immature," "classless," "cry baby," "wuss," "dead horse beater" - I honestly don't care. I won't change my position on this."

This was in response to the general feeling from the "cheer Damon" side that we are letting our emotions run away with us, that we're making to much of this, that the baseball on the field is what's important, etc.

I'd just like to say that if feel that way, what were you doing on the day of the Rollong Rally? Sitting at home analyzing stats because baseball season was over at that point and all this celebrating is just silly?

I just mean that I have an attachment to my team. And you do, too. Without emotion, there would be no point in following a team at all. Why is it okay to jump up and down after a big win or be really pissed about a tough loss, but not okay to show my very real emotions toward one of the players? Or toward an entire team of dudes I absolutely can't stand?

I boo Damon. I don't want Clemens on my team. I wish Bronson was still here. My reasons for these things have everything to do with the fact that these are human beings, more than just names on a page.

I'm not telling people "how to be a fan." Just like no one's telling me "how to be a fan" for having a different opinion than theirs.

Moving on, the tarp's on the field. Hopefully they play ball. I just saw a great interview with Mirabelli. Mad Dog would've said he did a nice job there. Papelbon was named rookie of month, too.

Update: Game rained out. Terrible job.

Comments:
Hi, Jere, just watchin' the tarp here.
Everyone from Remy to one of those nincompoop Globe reporters was apparently shocked--shocked!--that Johnny Damon didn't get a standing O the first time at bat. Then along comes an interview with one of my gods, Freddie Lynn (who you used to call Freddie Lynnstone when you were four), saying he might have been surprised at the strength of the vehemence of the fans' disdain, but that Johnny left (wasn't traded) and that he chose to play for the Yankees. Hello? What did he expect from Sox-lovers? Fred had nothing but admiration from the kind of passion expressed last night, and he also said a lot of provocative stuff about his own trade and having to learn to play with a team whose fans left during the 7th inning at PLAY-OFF GAMES. (I already posted the observation that LA fans think the 7th inning stretch means the game is over.) Too bad you missed Freddie Lynnstone, Jere, you'd have loved it.
Mom
 
Lynn has ruled for years, he's been pro-Sox in his post-playing days. Speaking of those 70s Sox, Carlton Fisk received a yankee Hater hat after 2004, and didn't know what the "YH" meant, but when he found out, he thought it was great. (per an interview with him)
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States