Monday, February 20, 2006

Brain Detail

I've heard a lot of people say a lot of things about Pulp Fiction. It starts with the ubiquitous specualtion as to what's in the briefcase and goes all the way to the burnt out letters on the Killian's Red sign. But no one ever mentions all the name-ryhming. I can think of four examples off the top of my head:

Bartender: "My name's Paul, and this shit's between y'all."

Jules, in the apartment: "My name's Pitt. And you ain't talkin' your way out of this shit."

Buddy Holly-waiter, at Jack Rabbit Slim's: "How about you, Peggy Sue?"

The Wolf, at Jimmy's house: "How about you, Lash LaRue? Can you keep your spurs from jingling and jangling?"

What's the deal with this? Maybe Tarantino just did it because he likes to. (After all, he did end up doing a movie called Kill Bill.) Still, I want answers. Oh, wait, I forgot "Zed's dead." And I might even consider "Our man in Amsterdam." Oh, and doesn't Butch say "Bye bye, sugar pie," or something, to Fabian? And there's the "Honey Bunny" character as well. There's also an "eeny, meeny, miny, mo" in the movie. Maybe it's because the whole thing is one big, twisted nursery rhyme.

Have a good Presidents' Day, everybody. Think of Coolidge vs. Wilson. And happy Two/20/06 for those of you who know what that means.

Comments:
You're onto something. Life's a rhyme and then you die.
Mom
 
I'd like to think of life as more than a rhyme, but if it is, I had better be a damn good one. And hi to you "Mom."
 
It had....he meant to say
 
And a rhyme?--- Don't let the door hit you where the Lord split you.
 
Curt Gowdy just passed away...gee.
 
"Sweet dreams, jelly bean." Butch just said it. I'm watching it now, 2 months after the post.
 
Watching it five years after that, AGAIN thought I had a new one with the jelly bean line. (To clarify, I've seen it dozens of times between then and now.)
 
WOW, watching it righy now, thought I had a new one with "jellybean." I see I've had this thought before. Several times!
 
And now in 2015, I notice a new one! "Good job, sugar pop." I had always thought Butch was saying "sugar pie" but pop makes more sense with the rhyming. Granted, job and pop isn't an exact match, but it's close.
 
17 years after the post, and 11 years since the last time I said this, I kid you not, I just saw the "sweet dreams, jelly bean" line and AGAIN thought I had a new one. See ya again in a few years, me!
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States