Wednesday, April 06, 2005

"Interlocking," My Ass

The yankees organization, especially Michael Kay, loves to brag about their "interlocking NY" logo. Or as my dad calls it, "the arachnid."

I was thinking about it, and I've decided that in no way are the "N" and "Y" interlocked. One letter is just sitting on the other. Only one part of the "N" crosses the "Y", and vice versa. So how are they interlocked?

If that middle line of the "N" crossed over the two upper limbs of the "Y," you could say that it goes over one limb and under the other, creating a weave, i.e. "interlocking," design. But you still wouldn't be able to tell in that case, since the arachnid is always one solid color.

I did discover that there's a type of stitch called "interlock." Maybe the "NY" on the hat uses that design. I will call Chan and ask if there's anything complicated about it on his yankee hat. But I'm guessing it's just a regular stitch. Hold on, dialing Chan...

Okay, Chan says the "Y" is just laying over the "N", no crazy stitching.

I'm right on this one, I think. No interlocking.

Chan turned me on to Google Maps. It's really cool. It has satellite images of the whole world, basically. We were talking on the phone, both looking at the same map, trying to give each other directions to places. I found Angels Stadium, then under repairs. I was telling Chan, "Okay, go down I-5..." You'll see what I mean when you look at it, with the way you can scroll the maps along your screen. I saw the little hotel I stayed at in Seattle, Fenway Park (pre-Monster seats), and--type in an airport code and it will take you right to it. I found a plane in the air west of LAX, over the water. But you have to be seriously bored to find it. I'll probably spend the next few days looking for more planes in the air.

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States