Thursday, April 14, 2005

Fenway Park, April 13th, 2005

I'm gonna do that thing where you only look at something from your own perspective and say that the Red Sox should have scored more runs, and Curt stayed in the game a little too long. That was a very win-able game.

It was good to be back in the bleachers in the same 10-game plan seats Pat & I had last year. Looks like the same crew that took up a large chunk of the upper east side of section 43 last year has renewed. It's a bunch of thirty-ish dudes who all went to college together. They can be funny at times.

We also saw a lot of other familiar faces out there, which is weird since this is our first ever experience of being (partial) season ticket holders the second year.

On Opening Day, it was true what everyone was saying: Hardly any yankee fans. Last night, there were a few more, but nothing like every other year. Usually on the drive up, we'll see yankee cars. On these last two trips this week, I saw none.

Although we did see one on the way home last night. It was a CT plate that said "YNKS 26". This tells me some things about that person. For one, they couldn't be a longtime yankee fan, or it would've been likely that they'd have a lower number of championships on their plate. It also tells me that they've realized that the yanks have stalled at 26 titles, and decided now would be a good time to get the plate, so they wouldn't have to change it.

During batting practice yesterday, a roughly nine year old boy tried to reach down and grab a ball rolling around the right field corner. His dad was holding his feet as he stretched all the way down, before falling out of the crowd...and out of his pants. So this completely bare-butted kid was just laying on the field. He quickly was hoisted back into the crowd, where he re-pantsed.

But he got the ball.

That was the first bare ass on the Fenway Park field since the one that said "Jim Rice" on it. Remember that? Some fan ran on the field during a game, went to secong base, and pulled down his pants to reveal Rice's name. I didn't see it, but I was listening on the radio, of course. This was '88-ish, if I had to guess.

I think the championship flag is too heavy. It doesn't wave in the wind like it should be doing. At times, the American flag will be fully extended, while the championship flag, just below it, hangs limp.

I might put up some more pix from O.D. and last night when I get a second. There just aren't enough hours in the day sometimes. Especially this week.

Tonight Pat & I are going to Northampton, Mass to see Sonic Youth and Cat Power. Cat Power's real name is Chan Marshall. Which is funny to you only if two of your best friends' last names are Chan and Marshall. (Which is true in my case.) (Or else I wouldn't have said that.) Something tells me I'll have no trouble finding out what happened in tonight's game. I'm telling myself that it's okay to miss one Sox-yanks game of a three game series when you actually attended the other two, and you're going to see two awesome music acts who rarely play live. And it's April. And you know the Sox are going to win anyway.

Bronson/Johnson tonight.

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States