Saturday, December 18, 2004

Dog Food Salesmen

So the yankees got rid of radio announcer Charley Steiner, Mr. "I'll Just Let You Figure Out What's Happening, Even Though You Can't See What's Going On." Or he bolted on his own, I don't know. Either way, it's a great day for anyone who ever listens to the yanks on radio. But this move is completely negated by the fact that filling in for the boob will be the traitor herslef, Suzyn Waldman.

As a reporter, she's pretty good. When she occasionally hosts a show on the FAN, she's very good. But this woman has absolutely no idea how to call a baseball game. On TV, anyway. Maybe she'll be better at it on radio, but I doubt it. I wonder why they think anyone with baseball reporting experience can just step in as an announcer. Some people just don't have a knack for it. I would say that I hope this opportunity makes her better at announcing, as maybe since she works in a field dominated by men, she just hasn't been given enough chances to hone her (non-) skills. But I won't because she was born and raised a Red Sox fan, but got a job with the yanks, and went right up the ladder to Steinbrenner lackey. Pathetic. She once sang "Take Me Out To The Ballgame," I think, on the Forever Fenway video from the eighties. She had a dog named Fenway. But I guess when a person is offered a certain amount of money, they'll gladly go against everything they stand for to get their hands on that dough. This is a perfect example of why we shouldn't make fun of ballplayers for going after money if we do the same thing ourselves. Just because they're dealing with larger amounts of money than we ever would, doesn't mean they should be thought of any differently than the dog food salesman who switches companies because he's offered a nickel more from another company, despite having been treated great for years by the original company.

I'll never forget when the A's were up 2-0 on the yanks a few years ago (the year when Jeter made that fundamentally sound play, almost getting the guy at the plate, but he was called out). Waldman was on the FAN, and some Sox fans had called up, making fun of the yanks, who looked doomed. Suzyn was so mad, saying, "Y'know, just because another team loses, that doesn't make your team better!" I was like, Come on Suzyn, don't pretend you don't know what it's like to be a Red Sox fan. Terrible job.

And Sean McDonough is not with the Sox anymore. I noticed how the Unclean White Lab didn't give this headline status, then told how hardly anybody wrote to him about it, implying that nobody cares about the bald one. Hmmm, maybe that's because you didn't tell anyone about it. Anyway, I like McDonough from back in the days when I used to get the TV-38 games on the CT affiliate. Too bad he got fazed out.

I also noticed that there's no mention of TV and radio announcers on the MLB web sites anymore. I guess they figure they'll lose business by telling you how to see and hear games in places other than MLB.TV and Gameday Audio. I hate this whole MLB conformity/monopoly thing. All the teams should have they're own web sites like they used to. I hate clothes and logos that are all the same, with the team name the only thing that changes. It's all real dumb.

I propose a rogue baseball league. It involves the visiting team running the bases clockwise. And third base (or first for the visitors) acts as home plate. So you run straight through third into the dugout to score. Also, this makes first and third basemen also have to wear catchers' gear, and left handed players would be able to play a lot more positions in the field. Just ignore me.

Comments:
"I propose a rogue baseball league. It involves the visiting team running the bases clockwise. And third base (or first for the visitors) acts as home plate. So you run straight through third into the dugout to score. Also, this makes first and third basemen also have to wear catchers' gear, and left handed players would be able to play a lot more positions in the field. Just ignore me."

CLANG!

Hilarious.

Where do I sign up?

-riggs
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States