Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Final Q & G Report

If you've been reading this blog all season, you know I was a huge critic of the yankees' Quantrill/Gordon "dynamic duo." These two were called the team's two most imortant off-season pickups by announcer Jim Kaat. This thinking was then adopted by everyone in the New York media, and the yanks had a grand scheme involving their starters going six innings, Quantrill & Gordon pitchng the seventh and eight, before handing it over to the great one for the ninth.

My thought was that their starters wouldn't go six all the time, Quanrtill was a bum, and Gordon was old and wouldn't last the season.

And as the season progressed, Torre overused the "theory," pitching these guys almost every day, to the point where:

Quantrill became ineffective. Look at his last eleven appearances of the season: 10 innings, 15 earned runs, 0 saves, 0 wins, 2 blown saves. And by the ALCS, he wasn't really in the picture any more, but did give up 2 earned runs on 8 hits in 3 1/3 innings, with a loss.

Gordon finally tired out by playoff time, and couldn't handle the pressure, apparently puking in the bullpen. His ALCS stats: 6 1/3 innings, 4 earned runs.

Also, they lost the ALCS, and the Red Sox won the World Series. Yes, the Red Sox won the World Series.

Today, I saw an old man with a Red Sox shirt and hat, through the window of a Chinese restaurant. I started pumping both fists in the air like a maniac. He did the same thing back to me. The excitement doesn't seem to be wearing off. Oh, uh, I mean, I don't know what to do and I lost my identity. Yeah, that's it.

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States