Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Rain...Everybody's Talkin' 'Bout It

Went ALMOST to Fenway Park tonight. Got to Worcester, and found out the game was postponed. Oh well. I'm wondering if the Red Sox have thought of this: Tonight's game was part of one of the "10th Man" Plans (the one I have). Since it will have to be made up when the O's are back in town, it would be nice if they rescheduled it for the same day as the OTHER O's game that's part of the same plan, in September. Because while I love going to Fenway, driving 2 1/2 hours to get there on consecutive nights, or three times in one week, can be rough.

Tonight's fruitless Fenway trip reminds me of rain outs/delays from my past. My first game at Fenway was vs. the Tigers in April, Nineteen Eighty......One? ish? But it didn't happen because it snowed. I remember that the only player we got to see was Jim Rice.

In the late 80s, I went to a game at Fenway with my family, and my friend was also there, separately, with his family. There was a long rain delay. It looked like the game was definitely finished, for that night, anyway. His family gave up early on in the delay, and headed back to Conecticut. My family gave up a bit later, since we were staying with relatives just across the New Hampshire border. We were pretty mad to hear that the game started up again after we'd left. We got to hear the ending in the car. My friend and his family, however, made it all the way home to Ridgefield, CT, 2 1/2 hours away, and got to WATCH the end of the game on TV. (It must've been a Friday or a Sunday, since those were the only games the CT affiliate would show...although that's more than I get to see now).

I also have a great set of pictures from another rained out game. The first is of me and that same friend, at Fenway, all happy and smiling, in our front row seats (his dad had great seats, right near Libby Dooley, by the Sox batters box--wish I had those now), ready for the game. The second picture is of us, same shot, only with rain gear--and sad faces--on.

I also enjoyed when Rick Dempsey used to run around and slide on the tarp during rain delays. Last year in Baltimore, I was at a rain-delayed game (the "thunder" game), and since Dempsey is a coach with the O's, I was rooting for him to come out and slide around, but it wasn't to be.

In closing, I have to say I actually love rain. I love the way a day feels when the lights are on inside, and it's almost dark as night outside, because of the clouds and rain. I love when it's a hot summer day, and then around 4 or 5, you see those dark clouds rolling in, and you get a big thunderstorm to cool you off. I guess it's like having a blanket pulled over the earth after a long, lazy day. A friend of mine used to tease me when I'd say "I love rain" by saying, "Because it hides your tears when you cry?" No. Well yes, but ONLY when it cancels a Red Sox game...

Have you ever noticed almost every song about rain is a great song?

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States