Monday, March 22, 2004

Baseball/Politics/Music (couldn't think of a clever title for this one)

If you read that last post, you deserve a short one now. Go.

I'm gonna quote Billy Crystal here. (C'mon, he was funny in the SNL years, plus he was nice to my sister when she said 'hi' to him at the Claridge Hotel pool in Atlantic City in like '85.) And this isn't the exact quote, but it was something like, "Baseball was the only thing I had in common with my father."

This is far from the truth for me, (For example, my father and and I, besides being Red Sox fans, both enjoy blackjack, as well as body-surfing.) however, the point is, baseball has a way of bringing people together who otherwise wouldn't want to be in the same room as each other. Although in my case, it's the Red Sox specifically as opposed to baseball in general. Like if I see someone wearing a Red Sox hat, unless they're murdering someone, I know I'll have a special connection with them. And I don't know if y*nkee fans have that going for them. Because, let's say when you're not in the Northeast, when you see a Sox hat, you can be pretty sure that the person under it is a fan, and you'll probably end up discussing where each of you is from in New England, and other Red Sox-related stories, and even if one of you has a Go Vegan T-Shirt on, and the other is wearing a George Bush, uh, I don't know, belt buckle, it doesn't matter because you've both survived life as a Sox fan.

But, on the other hand, the y*nkee hat is more of the default hat. Like if I saw someone in Idaho with a y*nkee hat, I'm guessin' it fell off a truck and they just picked it up and put it on for the hell of it; OR, they got it in '97 to replace that Braves hat that was gettin' shoddy. You know what I'm talkin' about.

Same goes with the music scene. I was in a band for 3 years, and I still go to a lot of shows, and I get a lot of people seeing my Sox hat and telling me they're a fan as well, even though you wouldn't think they cared about baseball by lookin' at 'em. So a musician with a B on their hat is someone who's passionate about music and the Red Sox. A musician with an NY on their hat is someone who plays music and is trying to cut down on glare.

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States